Explore

sub-sub-title

FlavMogo blog: • My recent photography in articles • News about the world of photography and the equipment • Current news and events • My take on all of the above

October 8, 2010

Clever USPS email scam

I received an email, get this: from federal@usps.com, with picture and an announcement of a failure in sending a package I supposedly sent.


Interesting to say the least, that the email allegedly used is the one above. don't know how they did it, i doubt a USPS worker contributed in any way. There is a zip-file attached, but i don't wish to open it, because i don't use an antivirus and i'm not that curious as to what lies in that pandora's box.
Goes without saying: never open attachments from unknown senders.

25 comments:

  1. Lol, i've never gotten one from usps..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got an interesting point here, good job with the post

    ReplyDelete
  3. obviously so fake.. THE USPS NEVER FAILS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks legit do it dude dont be a pussy lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably just spoofed the usps address. Strangely, I don't think this falls under mail fraud since it wasn't sent to an electronic address and not a physical one.

    If you wander to your post office one day you should probably ask. I am actually kind of curious as to whose jurisdiction this would fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. now thats a strange scam. u have to be very carefull with those emails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea I've been getting stuff like this more and more recently

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theyre getting good with the address spoofing although I suppose it should be .gov

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irecieved scam e-mails too, but usually they are too obivious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wouldn't surprise me if a USPS worker was really in on it though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice, I can't wait to see what you have to say in your next post

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks legit :) open it lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. O.o thanks ill be sure to watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is pretty clever, actually. Crazy people and their want to give people viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pure scam!! How far will the scammers go to have your PC infected with a malware?

    S!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I received one just this morning only mine wanted to give me additional info on a package that someone supposedly sent to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got an email like this!

    ReplyDelete